Fenugreek Flavored Lentil Curry – Dal Recipes
This traditional Indian dish is often served over rice or roti . This recipe is the combination of fenugreek leaves, toor dal and bengal gram dal. It is not only delicious, a good source of non-meat protein and it also has a number of health benefits. It taste absolutely delicious when you eat it with a tsp of ghee.
1 Small Bunch of Fenugreek Leaves, Chopped
To Pressure Cook
1/4 Cup of Toor Dal
1/4 Cup of Bengal gram Dal
1 Medium Size Tomato, Finely Chopped
1 Green Chilly, Finely Chopped
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp of Oil
1/2 Tsp of Salt
2 Cups of Water
3 Tsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp of Urad dal
1/2 Tsp of Cumin
1 Red Chilly
Pinch of Asafoetida
2 Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped
- Soak both the dals in enough water for 1/2 hr. Drain the water and wash the dals in cold tap water. Keep this aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add toor dal, bengal gram dal, turmeric powder, oil, salt, chopped tomato, green chilly and water, cook this for 5-6 whistles. Switch off the stove.
- Heat oil in a pan, add red chillies (break it), mustard seeds, urad dal and cumin. After they sizzles, add a pinch of asafoetida, curry leaves and chopped garlic, fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add chopped fenugreek, saute for 1 min.
- Add the cooked dal to a pan, cook it for 2 mins. Check the salt and switch off the stove.
- Hot Fenugreek flavored lentil curry is ready.
- Serve this dal with Potato Peas Fry or Colocasia Fry
- You can follow the same recipe with spinach or any greens.
- You can enrich the taste by adding 1tsp of ghee.
- You can also add lemon juice while serving.
Health Benefits of Dal and Greens
- Lentils are high in fiber and protein, and low in fat. Eating lentils and other foods that are rich in soluble dietary fiber can help decrease high cholesterol
- A dish of basmati rice with moong dal combines carbohydrates, protein, fiber and fats for a healthy, balanced meal. The rice provides carbohydrates for quick-release energy.
- Fenugreek Leaves are rich in vitamins, minerals and good source of protein and Iron.