Pasi paruppu Payasam / Moong Dal Kheer is a lentil based Indian festival sweet recipe which is prepared with moong dal, jaggery and milk. This pasi paruppu payasam is very easy to make, protein rich and flavourful sweet prepared on important festival occasions like varalakshmi poojai. You can make this moong dal kheer either in a stove top or pressure cooker, but cooker is the easiest way to make this payasam. To make this payasam recipe, moong dal cooked in cooker, mashed, combined with jaggery syrup and finally flavored with ghee roasted cashews and cardamom. Serve this moong dal kheer either warm or cool. I love to drink cool kheer.
- 1/4 Cup (heaping) Yellow Moong Dal
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp of Jaggery
- 3/4 Cup of Milk
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- 2 Tbsp of Dry Coconut Flakes
- 1 Cardamom
- 2 Tsp of Ghee
- Few Cashews
- In a pressure cooker, dry roast the moong dal until you get a nice aroma.
- Add 1 cup of water, cook it for 3 whistles. After done, mash it with a masher.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, add ghee, fry cashews and coconut flakes, keep this aside. To the same pan, add enough water, let it come to rolling boil, add powdered jaggery to it, after it get dissolved, add mashed moong dal, mix well. Cook it for 2 mins.
- Add 1/4 cup of milk and cardamom to it. Cook it for another 2 -3 mins in a medium flame. After you get a thick consistency. Add fried cashews and coconut flakes to the hot payasam. Serve warm or refrigerate until chilled.
- Try this payasam and enjoy.
- You can cook fully in milk instead of adding water.
- You can make payasam really rich by adding coconut milk.
- Add ghee, fried coconut pieces in payasam for kerala touch.
- Add fried raisins or any nuts of your choice.
- If you are a sweet lover, increase the quantity of jaggery.
Health Benefits of Yellow moong dal
- They are high in fiber and protein, and low in fat. Eating lentils and other foods that are rich in soluble dietary fiber can help decrease high cholesterol.
- This dal is very good for pregnant ladies, kids and older people as it is easily digestible.