Idiyappam is a culinary specialty from southern part of India. It is a steamed food and can be served for dinner or breakfast. It is made of rice, salt and water. I already made detailed post on how to make Plain idiyappam.You can make recipes from idiyappam and this recipe is a savory version in which I used lemon juice and some seasonings. Try this recipe and enjoy…..
2 Cups of Idiyappam
Juice of 1 Medium Sized Lemon
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
2 Tsp of Gingelly Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
1 Tsp of Chenna Dal
2 Red Chillies
Pinch of Asafoetida
Few Curry Leaves
- In a small bowl, add turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt to it. Mix well with a fork.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when they splutter, add all the rest of the ingredients listed under ” To Temper ” Saute for a min until dal turns golden brown.
- In a medium flame, add the lemon juice mix, give a quick stir and add plain idiyappam and mix well. Turn off the stove.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- Use green chillies instead of red chillies for extra spiciness.
- Adjust salt and lemon juice according to your taste.
- Add nuts of your choice like peanuts, cashews etc
Health Benefits of Steamed Lemon Idiyappam
- Eating steamed food helps the body to keep fit and healthy.
- Steamed Idiyappam are advised for sick and older people, as it doesn’t give strain to the stomach.
- Steamed Foods are easily digestible.
- Lemon juice rich in Vitamin C, it is also essential for maintaining a fully functional immune system, aiding digestion and fighting cancer.
- Lemon juice is well known for it’s antioxidants and anti-cancer properties