PAVAKKAI / BITTER GOURD (MELON ) STIR FRY
2 Medium sized Bitter Gourd
1 Tsp of Sambhar Powder or Red Chilly Powder
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1/4 Tsp of Garam Masala
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
Pinch of Hing
1 Tbsp of Oil
Salt to taste
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, urad dal, let it crackles and then add hing.
- Take pan away from the stove, add sambhar powder or red chilly powder and turmeric powder, fry for a min.
- Keep pan back to the stove, immediately add bitter gourd, salt and little water. Stir well. Keep it covered and cook for 5-7 mins in a medium flame.
- Finally add garam masala, mix well. Cook for a min and then switch off the stove.
- Bitter Gourd stir fry is ready to serve with sambhar or dal rice.
- Cut bitter gourd lengthwise or circular shape, as you wish but slice it thin, so that it cooked fast.
- If your bitter gourd is tender, don’t remove the seeds.
- To deep fry bitter gourd, add rice flour and gram flour, marinate it, for extra crispness.
- To avoid bitterness, add a pinch of jaggery or sugar.
Health Benefits of Bitter Gourd
- This vegetable is low in calories.
- Controls blood glucose levels.
- Rich source of folate and vitamin C.
Thank you for reading my post. Your comments and feedback is very valuable and highly appreciated. Please leave your valuable comments and feedback for this post. Thanks Gayathri.