Pesto is a sauce originated in Liguria region of northern Italy and traditionally consists of crushed garlic, basil and pine nuts blended with olive oil, Parmesan cheese and Fiore Sardo (cheese made from sheep’s milk). This simple and flavorful sauce with pasta is a treat to your taste buds and the best way to enjoy basil. Great recipe to pack for lunch box and your kids will love this pasta.
2 Handful of Angel Hair Pasta
1/2 Cup of Broccoli
Few Mushroom ( I used Baby Portabella )
3 Tbsp of Basil Pesto Sauce
2 Garlic Cloves
1/2 Tsp of Red Chilli Flakes
Sharp cheddar cheese and Parmesan Cheese to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tsp of Olive Oil
- Bring 3 Cups of water to a rolling boil, add salt to taste.
- Add angel hair pasta to water and stir gently.
- To get authentic pasta taste, boil uncovered for 10- 12 mins and stir occasionally.once it done, just drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil, add red chilli flakes, chopped garlic and saute until slightly yellow in color about 1-2 mins.
- Add chopped broccoli and mushroom , cook for a 1-2 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta to the skillet and add basil pesto sauce, toss well. Switch off the stove.
- Top pasta with sharp cheddar cheese, green olives and Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- Adding cheddar cheese and green olives are optional. I used because I love Cheddar, parmesan and pasta combination.
- You can follow the same recipe by using any pasta.
- Use less oil, as basil pesto sauce itself has more oil in it.
Health Benefits of Pasta
- Try to use whole wheat or multi-grain pasta as it was rich in nutritional benefits like protein, vitamins, fiber and ALA omega-3.
- Adding green olives prevents heart diseases and cancer.
- Cheese are great source of protein and calcium. Also contains nutrients like zinc and biotin.