Kerala Avial / Aviyal Recipe
2 Medium SizeCarrots
1 Brinjal or Eggplant
1 Medium Size Raw Plantain
1 Large Potato
4 Drum Sticks
2 Tbsp of Yogurt/Curd
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1/2 Cup of Water
Salt as needed
1/4 Cup of Grated Coconut
1 Tsp of Whole Cumin
2 or 3 Green Chillies
1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard (optional)
Few Curry Leaves
- Peel the skin and cut all the vegetables into 2 inch long pieces.
- In a blender, grind cumin, coconut and green chillies to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- In a pan add all chopped vegetables to the boiling water, add turmeric powder, salt and cook until all vegetables turn soft.
- Now add the ground paste and little water, bring it a boil. Add yogurt or curd and mix well, cook for 1 min. Switch off the stove.
- In a seperate Pan, heat coconut oil , add mustard(optional) and curry leaves, let it crackles. now add the vegetable- coconut gravy and mix well. Check the salt and switch off the stove.
- yummy Aviyal is ready!!!!
- In kerala, they don’t temper with mustard seeds, if you wish you can temper it.
- For extra spiciness, add more green chillies to it.
- You can also add yam, ash gourd, raw mango to this recipe. I didn’t add those vegetables as I was out of stock.
- If you use raw mango pieces, try to reduce the curd accordingly.
- Vegetables are low in fat, but are rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Vegetables are home for anti-oxidants.
- Vegetables are packed with soluble and insoluble dietary fiber.