Matta Rice Flakes Upma / Sivappu Arisi Aval Upma
Matta rice is an indigenous rice grown in palakad district of Kerala. Matta rice flakes are typically used in Kerala cuisine. Healthy alternative to white rice flakes, having a high nutritional contents. This is a healthy breakfast recipe for kids and adults.
1 Cup of Matta Rice Flakes
1/2 Cup of Finely Chopped Onion
2 Tbsp of Grated Coconut
Few Curry Leaves
2 Red Chillies or Green Chillies
2 Tbsp of Roasted Peanuts
Pinch of Asafoetida
1 Tsp of Mustard
1 Tsp of Urad Dal
Oil and salt as needed
- Soak matta rice flakes in water for 3 mins.
- Heat a pan with oil, add red chillies, let it turn brown. To oil, add mustard, urad dal, asafoetida, curry leaves, onions (add one by one) fry for a 1-2 mins.
- Add roasted peanuts and fry for a min.
- In a medium flame, add soaked matta rice flakes, salt and fry for 1-2 mins.
- Finally add grated coconut, mix well and switch off the stove.
- Serve immediately with onion raita.
- Don’t over soak the rice flakes, it will turn soggy while cooking.
- Adding peanuts are optional.
- You can follow the same recipe with white rice flakes.
- Soaking time for white flakes is 2 mins.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice.
Health Benefits of Matta Rice Flakes
- Matta rice flakes are very good for the people with heart disease, diabetes and weight loss.
- Low in cholesterol, high in fiber, vitamins and minerals.