Leafy Mustard is indeed one of the most nutritious green leafy vegetable. Sarson Ka Saag / mustard greens curry is a popular and a healthy Punjabi dish. It has a unique flavor and taste of Mustard greens. sarson dish is traditionally topped with butter and sarson ka saag goes well with Makki Ki Roti and also chapathi.
- 1 Bunch of Mustard Greens
- 1/2 Cup of Spinach
- 1 Boiled Potato
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 1 Tbsp of Finely Chopped Ginger
- 3 Garlic Cloves(Chopped)
- 1 Chopped Tomato
- 2 Green Chillies(Chopped)
- 1 Tsp of Chilly Powder
- 1/2 Tsp of Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp of Garam Masala
- 1 Tbsp Fried Onions(optional)
- 1/2 Tsp of Sugar
- 1 Tbsp of Dried Methi Leaves(optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp of Oil
- Salt and Water as needed
- Wash the greens thoroughly in water and Chop it roughly. Keep it aside.
- Boil and chop the potato and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with 2 cups of water, bring it to rolling boil. Now add the greens and chopped ginger to the water, keep it uncovered for 5 mins, wait until leaves are tender.
- Now turn off the stove. Immediately, “shock” the blanched leaves in cold water and drain the excess of water.
- On the other side heat a pan with oil, add green chillies and garlic. Saute for few mins.
- Add onions and salt, saute for few mins until onions turns transparent.
- In a medium flame, add chilly powder, turmeric and garam masala. Saute for few secs.
- Add tomato puree or chopped tomato and little water. Fry for few mins. Keep it covered and cook for 3 mins until oil separates. Turn off the stove.
- Take a blender/mixie, add the greens, onion-tomato mixture and fried onions. Grind it coarsely.
- Heat a pan with little oil, add the ground puree, boiled and chopped potato, dried methi, little sugar, water and salt. Cook in medium flame for another 3-4 mins and switch off the stove.
- Hot Sarson Ka Saag is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with Makki Ki Roti
- Adding fried onions gives little sweetness to the dish.
Health Benefits of Sarson Ka Saag
- Storehouse of Phytonutrients.
- Rich in Vitamin A, K, antioxidants and folic acid.