Jeera Rice is a popular Indian dish consists of rice, jeera and spices. It’s a simple, flavorful and easily digestible rice that can be done in few min.
1 cup Basmati Rice
11/2 cups of water
2 Tablespoons Oil/Butter
3 Teaspoon of Cumin Seeds
1 Shah Jeera(opt)
1 Bay leaves
1 Big Cinnamon
2 Big Elaichi/ Small Cardamom
1 Teaspoon of Salt
- Soak the basmathi rice for 1/2 hr.
- Heat the oil in a pan/cooker. Test the oil by adding one cumin seed; if seed crackles then your oil is ready.Add cumin seeds.
- The sheer smell of cumin seeds frying in hot oil makes it more appetizing .
- Add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves and stir for few seconds.
- Next add the rice. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add required water and salt, bring to a rolling boil and turn the heat to low. Cover the pan. If you use cooker just close the lid and wait for the whistle.
- In stove top, Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluffy rice is ready.
- Serve it with Aloo Gobi or any spicy subzi or raita.
- You can cook this rice either in pan or cooker.
Health Benefits of Cumin
- Cumin may stimulate the secretion of pancreatic enzymes, compounds necessary for proper digestion and nutrient assimilation.
- It has an anti-carcinogenic properties.
- It is an excellent source of Iron.