Egg Plant is also called Brinjal/Melongene. This plant is used in cuisine of many countries because everyone love Eggplant next to Potato. Eggplant is one of those unique vegetables – alone it doesn’t taste like much, but cooked with seasonings it takes on a world of flavor. This recipe is my mom’s recipe. Fry can be served with More Kulambu or any variety rice. So here you go…
4 Brinjal/Egg Plant/Melongene
1 Tsp of Fennel Seeds
2 Tsp of Sambhar Powder
1 Pinch of Garam Masala
2 Tbsp of Oil
Salt and Water as needed
- Cut Brinjal lengthwise and keep it aside.
- Take a bowl and marinate brinjal, sambhar powder and salt. Keep it aside for 5 mins
- Heat a pan with oil, add this marinated brinjal, mix well and add little water. Close the pan with lid. Keep it in medium flame for 5 mins.
- Add Fennel seeds over the brinjal and stir well.
- Again keep in low flame for 5 mins. Now add a pinch of Garam Masala. Mix well. Cook covered for another2 mins.
- Brinjal fry is ready.Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Brinjal Fry can be served with More Kulambu , Sambhar Rice or any variety rice.
- Follow this same recipe with Potato or Colocasia.
Health Benefits of Eggplant
- Eggplants provide 2 g of fiber per cup. Fiber helps with digestion and colon health.
- Eggplants also are high in a chlorogenic acid, a powerful antioxidant offering antimicrobial and antiviral activities along with the ability to help lower bad cholesterol levels.