This traditional Indian dish – Spinach dal recipe / Dal palak is often served over rice and it is a staple in many Indian restaurants and households. This spinach dal recipe is the combination of Toor, Moong dal and spinach. It is not only delicious, good source of nonmeat protein and it also has a number of health benefits.
- Soak toor and moong dal for 2 hrs before cooking. Wash and drain
- Pressure Cook all the “cooker items” ingredients as shown above, with enough water and wait till 4-5 whistles.
- Heat oil in pan and add the “To Temper ” Ingredients. One after the other.
- Fry the onion and garlic till golden brown. Add coriander and chilly powder to it. Don’t over roast it, as it gives burning taste.
- Add the cooker items to pan. Allow it to boil for 5 mins. Stir in between to avoid burning at the bottom. Let it come to rolling boil and turn off the stove.
- Garnish with fresh chopped onion, tomato and Cilantro/Coriander leaves. Serve it with roti/nan/rice.
- You can do the same recipe with methi leaves too.
- You can enrich the taste by adding 1tsp of ghee.
- You can also add lemon juice while serving.
Health Benefits of Toor and Moong dal
- Lentils are high in fiber and protein, and low in fat. Eating lentils and other foods that are rich in soluble dietary fiber can help decrease high cholesterol
- A dish of basmati rice with moong dal combines carbohydrates, protein, fiber and fats for a healthy, balanced meal. The rice provides carbohydrates for quick-release energy.
Sending this recipe